Enamel paint is used to cover delicate surfaces such as wood and glass pieces to protect them from damage. This coating is strong and very durable. This section gives more information on enamel paints.
Enamel paints sound like paints related to glossy appearances, which is very close to their actual use. These paints are manufactured for coating hard surfaces of wood and glass, and are characterized by a glossy texture and composition.
While painting kitchens, bathrooms, stairways, wooden furniture, appliances, table tops, or anything else in your house, you would like them to be foolproof to the outside elements. A light coat of enamel paint does exactly that. These paints are highly resistant to varying temperatures, moisture, excessive handling or mishandling, and scratches. They are available in two forms.
These paints are a bit tricky to use as they can be cleaned using only mineral spirits. They have a very strong solvent odor and the drying time is of longer duration since they dry from the inside out.
These are very easy to use and clean up, and are quite popular. They have a negligible odor and the drying time ranges from a week to a month. This is because the outside surface of the paint dries faster than the inner surface.
Given below are the steps to paint wood and glass pieces at home using this paint:
- Make sure you have cleaned the wooden furniture before starting the painting process. Use a mixture of white vinegar and warm water for this.
- Sand the wood using a sandpaper so that the surface becomes smooth and even.
- Take a primer and soft brush and apply an undercoat of the same on the entire surface. Preferably use a white primer instead of a dark-colored one. Allow it to dry for around 3 days.
- Apply the coats of the paint in one direction. Do not apply very thick coats.
- After you are done, let the paint dry for about a week or month depending on the type you have used.
- For glass, choose the glassware that you want to paint and clean it properly.
- Choose the color combination you want to apply.
- Take the paint and start applying it in one direction. Apply one or two coats, as per your wish.
- You can use different color shades to give effects. When you are done, let the piece air-dry.
This method is extremely easy if you follow the steps correctly. The procedure is alike for all glassware and wood materials. However, what matters is that you need to buy a good quality paint which will have long-lasting effects.