We usually take our kitchen furniture for granted, especially the cabinets and hardware. The fact of the matter is that the cabinet hardware like knobs and handles are essential for completing the look of the cabinet and the whole kitchen too.
The complete set of hardware used in the making of the kitchen cabinets are:
- Knobs & Pulls – Glass, Ceramic, Iron, Wood, Brass, Bronze, etc.
- Door Catches
The variety of hardware available today helps design a kitchen that can either be very traditional or ultra modern. The existing look of your kitchen can be changed by a simple change of cabinet doors. The hardware can be bought from home decorating stores. But before going to the store, make sure that you have decided on your budget, which also plays a major deciding factor on the cabinet hardware.
Installing the hardware is an art by itself. If you can work your way around a toolkit and consider yourself patient, then you can take it up a project for yourself. However, if you are getting it installed from a professional, then it is always advisable to buy the hardware from stores that have these professionals working for them. This will ensure that you get a good deal.
If you are unsure about the look that you want for your kitchen, then looking up pictures in lifestyle magazines helps. In addition, some stores actually have the entire kitchen assembled in their shops, which again helps in choosing the right kitchen for you. Below are some tips that you must keep in mind:
- The best kitchen cabinets are those that use solid frames, doors, and drawers and are fully self contained, that is they have closed backs and the corners are reinforced.
- Re-facing is a cheaper and faster option compared to pulling down everything and starting fresh. It involves covering up your old cabinets with new ones and is completed in a day or two. The downside to this option is that though the kitchen gets a new look, the appliances and the cabinets still remain the same.
- Before finalizing, compare cost estimates provided by different stores and also have a look at the quality of the material offered.
- Stock cabinets are an excellent option as they are least expensive and are constructed in various shapes and sizes.
- If you are replacing existing door handles, then ensure the new hardware has the same drill centers as the previous model. Else, you will be left with extra drill holes that will have to be covered separately.
- Cabinet knobs are easier to install compared to handles as they require only one screw while the handles require two.
- While buying kitchen cabinet handles and knobs, it is always advisable to buy a couple of extra pieces because if they break sometime in the future, you will not be able to find an exact match.
- Solid hardwood cabinets such as Cherry, Maple, Birch, and Oak usually cost much more than laminate or veneer finished cabinets.
- Kitchen cabinets are available in a variety of standard shapes and sizes. However, custom sizes can be bought at an additional cost.
- Always select cabinets that have high-end hinges and mechanical hardware.
- Match the finish of the door handles and knobs on the cabinets to those of the appliances.
There are plenty of new and alternate hardware options available for kitchen cabinets these days. Sliding doors is one of them. In a this system, two doors of the cabinet move vertically up and down at the same time. It looks very nice in top mounted cabinets and provides a beautiful alternative to pull-out doors. Another new concept is to install fluorescent light tubes inside your cabinets, especially if the doors of your kitchen cabinet are made of glass. Apart from the fact that you will find it easier to find everything in your cabinet, the glow of the light will make your cabinets look very attractive.