A home office should be decorated in a formal-informal style. It should look like an office, while still being a part of your home. If you want to change your second bedroom or an unused garage into an exclusive office, here are some great decorating ideas.
A home office can be defined as a room in one’s house equipped as an office, where the person can work, and a well-styled home office makes work fun. It is a place where you can relax and work at the same time.
- Sense of orderliness and organization are the most important elements when decorating any place.
- Make sure there is enough sunlight in your room. It is good to have a large window in this room. If you think it is not giving you enough privacy, use frosted glass panels. Use sliding window panels, as they not only give privacy, but also create dimensional illusion. If you want your desk in your bedroom, place it near a window and decorate it with flowers.
- Place the furniture in the corner of the room, it will make the room appear larger. Opt for wooden furniture, as it gives an elegant look. Heavy lines of wooden furniture look nice with very light window treatment. It creates a contrast look.
- Remember that the décor which you are using should not only be beautiful, but also functional. The room being an office, there should be enough space for computer, printer, and a scanner.
- For a unique look, use a round folding desk or a built-in desk, as they also save a lot of space. Instead of regular chairs, use soft chairs, chairs with curved hands, French bergere chairs, or small sofas. Make sure there is enough seating space for your clients.
- If you think leather is only used for chairs, think again. A luxurious office space can be created by using a leather-finished desk and book case. Use different shades of white to style the room.
- Incorporate a library to give that typical office look. Wooden panelings and crown moldings will also look good with it. Heavy velvet draperies will also do wonders.
- Shelves have to be integral part of your design. Floor-to-ceiling shelves or built-in shelves are good ways to save space. You can use glass columns framed in wood to get a different look. Open shelves can be covered by flowers, candles, or personal stuff. Glass display shelves can also be used.
- If you have a very simple room, and want to give it that dash of style, use oriental carpets or brass chandeliers.
- Use animal print curtains and rugs if your furniture is simple. Add an interesting artwork or sculpture of your choice.
- If you have a door which is not used, conceal it with some contemporary folding screen. If you have a boring fireplace, use a faux painting technique to give it a new look.
- If you have a large room, use defined areas for lounging and eating. Bright colors not only stimulate energy, but also pep up the room.
- Papers kept in shelves/drawers and cables hidden behind the desk will give your home office a neat and organized look. A good idea to hide the computer cables is to use the leg of the custom desk.
- Many lamps are available in the market. Choose one which matches the style. Use playful animal table lamps or adjustable table lamps.
- If you have great outdoors, do not hide them; make them visible through Roman shades. Plants can add life to your home office. But remember, restrict your usage to only 2 or 3 small office plants (it is your office and not the garden).
These ideas will definitely make your job easy. A balance of modern and traditional accessories will give your home office the perfect look. Incorporate your own style to design an exclusive place to work.