By being creative with the lighting in hallways, you can greatly add to the visual appeal of your house. Read on for some creative ideas…
Hallways are not mere passages in the house to move from one room to another. If lighted well and decorated creatively, they can become an extension of your otherwise beautiful interiors. Regardless of whether they are small or big, thin or wide, if lighted well they give a very inviting and warm feel to the house.
Lighting Ideas for Hallways
There are two important things to keep in mind: Firstly, the fixtures should be well placed―ideally one every eight feet―so that the hallway is well-lit and safe for people using it. Secondly, the size of the fixtures should be such that it complements the space. The fixtures should not be too big or too small, but should rather provide adequate lighting and look good at the same time. For small hallways, lighting fixtures should be correspondingly small. For spacious, large hallways, the fixtures should be voluminous.
You can employ ceiling, wall, as well as table lighting in hallways, depending upon the breadth and height of the hallway, and the look you want to create through it. Here are some tips:
- If you have a long hallway, track lights, which provide adequate lighting to the entire walkway, would be ideal.
- For narrow ones, wall sconces score over all other fixtures. With sconces, there is a wide variety available to choose from. There are modern ones, such as those made from iron, and the traditional ones, made from crystal. When installing sconces, make sure that they are more than five feet from the floor.
- Recessed lighting, very commonly used for a commercial hallway, is now being used in homes to light hallways with low ceilings. Recessed lights can be used to highlight an artwork in the hallway.
- If the hallway is broad, add a few ceiling fixtures, wall sconces, a table lamp, or a few plants to it to increase its visual appeal.
- For those special social gatherings at home, hang a few candelabras from ceilings. The next time you have guests at your place, light these candles to give a magical touch to your interiors.
There are a number of things that you can do with your hallway that would give interior decoration an altogether different meaning! So plan it well, match the lighting design to the decor of your house, be creative, but at the same time don’t overlook the practicalities, and you are sure to come up with a design your guests will really admire!