Everyone is contributing in their own way to the noble cause of going green. The idea of eco-friendly furniture seems to flourish as a product of the trend of saving the green earth. If you too are planning to opt for this, here's some useful information.
Furniture is a basic necessity in a house. Eco-friendly décor is a trend today. It offers a variety of eco-friendly materials made from recycled and harvested wood, bio-based and non toxic materials causing less pollution. You can select products as per your needs.
Researchers have found a chic way to manage industrial scrap by using it to make products that are aesthetic and eclectic. These items are available in various striking colors and washable qualities which increase the durability.
Egg cartons are made from cardboard. There are various eco-friendly baby furniture items made from these waste cartons. They are turned into a paper pulp that can be later processed into various small desks and stools for kids.
Couches, chairs, and sofa cushions are a combination of steel mesh and fiber sacks, previously used to transport grains and stones. These items are lightweight. Some of these products have low watt light fixtures that add a unique accent by emitting lights.
Bamboo and Cane
Both cane and bamboo are grown on a large scale in most parts of Asia. They get easily destroyed, and hence they need not to be sent in the landfills. Most of these pieces are handmade, so they don’t require machinery and are free from causing pollution. They are also available in numerous styles and designs and are easy on the budget as well.
Tips for Buying
- It is best not to throw away old furniture as you can donate it or sell it to someone who needs it. Plus you can also think about recycling it to fit your needs.
- Always buy products that have been made using wood that is certified by the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council).
- Purchase from your local retailer as much as possible that saves the transportation cost, as well as pollution.
- Along with paints, it can actually contaminate your indoor air as they can emit toxic rays. Hence, it is important to choose the substances that are water-based and with the lowest VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Use foam inside the furniture that is not processed with the flame retardants.
- Always use eco-friendly fabric with natural colors and dyes. Cotton is traditionally treated with heavy amount of pesticides and VOCs for the desired color of the fabric. This can cause harm to the health as well as the environment. So, try to avoid it and use organic cotton.
With rising pollution and environmental degradation, protecting the environment must be our primary goal. This kind of furniture can take you one step ahead with an added panache to your house.