It is festive time, and you are looking at getting some home improvement to make your house look smashing and ready for any guests coming impromptu. Doors and especially windows need to be given a face lift. Window replacement seems to be on the cards. You check out the cost all around with the concerned shops. You turn to the Internet for help, and land on the right article to serve your purpose. The text to follow will explain the expenses and considerations for replacing window glass.
Cost of Replacing Window Glass
A number of factors can drastically and dramatically affect the cost of the project. For a single window, you will have to be prepared to pay in the range of $400-$800. This is as low as it seems, because here, the person fixing it will expect to work in an existing framework, that is, structurally intact frames. However, in special instances, a single pane replacement can even cost around $1000. This means that for a one-storey, three-bedroom home, with 10 windows, the overall cost can be between $3000-$10,000.
Further bigger homes, let's say two-storey homes, with more than 10 windows, can run $10,000-$20,000. If the windows are double hung, or double and triple glazed, expect to pay even more, as it can add to the costs alarmingly. In case the window frame needs rebuilding, it can be a real dent to your pockets, because they can cost almost 50-100% more than just replacing the glass. As a lump sum, keep aside between $5000-$40,000 for this purpose.
This was the generic information. However, it is not as simple as it looks. There are a number of factors which come into play, which will tell you what can impact the mentioned prices.
- If the shape of the windows is not the usual one, for instance they are bay, casement, or garden windows, the prices of glass replacement go up.
- Another important consideration is the company you hire for getting the work done.
- The type of material (wood, vinyl, or aluminum) is also a determining factor in costing. Vinyl is the cheapest as per the experts.
- The energy efficiency too is an aspect which needs to be taken care of.
- The cost of this whole endeavor should also include whatever is paid for post-project cleaning up, the disposal of the old windows, and washing of the new ones.
For getting the best deal, doing a bit of research, and comparing estimates given by several companies is important. One thing which is many times forgotten in all this chaos is the warranty. Warranty of the work done is extremely important. Otherwise, there would be no accountability to its quality. If you want to avoid all this hassle, you can even think of doing this project by yourself.
Finally, do not ever pay before the work is done. The contractors are in the habit for asking for money before the project, during the project, and after the project. Never pay upfront.