A home is what you return to, after a tiring day at work or a hectic day at school. There cannot be a better place than home, where one finds comfort and peace. The living room is one of the prime areas of a house that is used for relaxing and social interactions. It could be used for receiving guests, for sitting together with family members or friends, or for recreational purposes. The furniture, lighting, and the colors used influence the degree of comfort in the living room. Wall colors for this room should be chosen with due consideration to its furniture and lighting and also considering the soothing and relaxing effect they can have.
If the room is going to be used for a lot of socializing, warm colors are a better option. Vibrant colors can add an element of cheer and help boost the energy levels in a room. So, for a living room that's going to be used more for entertainment, recreation, and social interactions, these wall colors should be chosen. They include shades of red, yellow, and brown.
If the living room is going to be used for relaxing, reading, listening to music, sitting together with close friends and family, cool colors should be opted for. These include shades of blue and green, which have a calming effect on the mind and body.
Warm colors can make a room look smaller. Dark colors absorb more light, and can have the same effect on a room. So these colors should be chosen for the walls of a large room. Cool colors can be used to make a smaller room look spacious. As lighter colors reflect light, using them for the walls can have a similar effect on the room, making it look larger. The ceiling can be made to look higher by painting it white. Thus we can see that the size of a room is an important factor to consider while choosing wall colors
- Neutral Colors - White, Gray, Black, Beige, Ivory
- Warm Colors - Yellow, Orange, Red
- Cool Colors - Blue, Green, Violet
- While choosing wall colors, try not to select the color on your first visit to the paint shop. Take the color swatches home, think upon different combinations, and then decide.
- First pick the shades you like and then experiment if you want to.
- Choose a color that complements the furniture and other accessories in the room. For example, the wall color should go well with the flooring or the carpet color and the curtains in the room.
- Colors of adjoining walls should go well with each other.
- Light can make a color appear different from what it actually is. The same color can appear different during the day and night or with or without the lights. Consider the amount of natural light the living room receives. The color should look good in daylight and also go well with the kind of artificial lighting used in the room.
- Any color looks different on the color chart from how it looks when actually painted on the wall. It is advisable to choose a color which is lighter by a grade or two.
- If it is getting difficult to choose one perfect shade for the living room, consider using more. You can choose two colors for the walls and have each wall painted in two colors or three walls in one color and the fourth one in another. Use an accent color on the fourth wall. Accent walls not only look delightful but are trendy as well.
How Colors Make You Feel
Colors affect our moods and also our appetite and energy levels. Color choices differ from person to person. Here, we give you some common color associations.
- Red - It belongs to the warm color family. It has the ability to energize. It can increase appetite.
- Yellow - The warm color yellow is said to be rejuvenating and energizing. Being a bright color, it grabs attention. Yellow has been shown to lift one's mood.
- Blue - It is a cool color and has a soothing effect. It helps one to relax and calm one's senses.
- Orange - It is a warm color which is more pleasing than red.
- Green - It is the color of nature. It soothes one's eyes. It is one of the most welcoming colors.
- Violet - It symbolizes dreams of the future, imagination, and also spirituality. Light shades of violet have a soothing effect.
The information given in this DecorDezine article should help you choose the right wall colors for your living room. The colors should blend well with the room decor, or rather, accentuate it. A sofa and other furniture of the right color and type, lamp shades or wall lights and other decorative pieces like vases and flowers and indoor plants can be used to further enhance the beauty of your living room. What's most important is your comfort and that comes only when the setting and decor of a room is of your choice and taste.