If the room is used for a lot of socializing, warm colors are a better option. Vibrant colors can add an element of cheer and boost the energy levels in a room. If the room is used more for entertainment, recreation, and social interactions, choose shades of red, yellow and brown for wall.
If the living room is going to be used for relaxing, reading, listening to music, sitting together with close friends and family, cool colors should be opted for. These include shades of blue and green, which have a calming effect on the mind and body.
- While choosing wall colors, try not to select the color on your first visit to the paint shop. Take the color swatches home, think upon different combinations, and then decide.
- First pick the shades you like and then experiment if you want to.
- If it is getting difficult to choose one perfect shade for the living room, consider using more. You can choose two colors for the walls and have each wall painted in two colors or three walls in one color and the fourth one in another. Use an accent color on the fourth wall. Accent walls not only look delightful but are trendy as well.
How Colors Make You Feel
Colors affect our moods and also our appetite and energy levels. Color choices differ from person to person. Here are some common color associations and color schemes.
- Red - It belongs to the warm color family. It has the ability to energize. It can increase appetite.
- Yellow - The warm color yellow is said to be rejuvenating and energizing. Being a bright color, it grabs attention. Yellow has been shown to lift one's mood.
- Orange - It is a warm color which is more pleasing than red.
- Blue - It is a cool color and has a soothing effect. It helps one to relax and calm one's senses.
- Green - It is the color of nature. It soothes one's eyes. It is one of the most welcoming colors.
- Violet - It symbolizes dreams of the future, imagination, and also spirituality. Light shades of violet have a soothing effect.
Its important that the colors should blend well with the room decor, or rather, accentuate it no matter which color scheme they belong to.
Though this information is helpful in choosing the right wall colors for your living room; what's most important is 'your comfort' which comes only when the setting and decor of a room is of your choice and taste.