While replacing basement flooring, you need to take a lot of care. Not only because remodeling can be quite a task, but because with a room like basement you need to take into account things like the dampness of an area and the moisture content. To ensure that your flooring is not affected by these things it is a good idea to use vinyl flooring for basement.
Here, we will tell you how to install this flooring once you have chosen the option.
Installing Vinyl Flooring in Basements
Now that you know what vinyl flooring is and why it is probably one of the most suitable flooring for the basement, let us take a look at how you can install this type of flooring in your basement. The process of installing this flooring is not that difficult.
All you need is the flooring, the adhesive that you will use to install the same, and a cutting blade to cut the vinyl according to the measurements of the basement. Once you have all the materials that you require, follow the simple steps given here.
- Before you start installing the flooring, you need to prepare the basement. For this, you first need to clean the basement properly. Sweep it well using a broom to remove dust and dirt in the room. Ensure that any cracks on the basement flooring are also free of dust. Also try and clean any stains that are caused by spillage of oil or any other substance.
- Next, you need to take proper measurements of the area of the basement. Ensure that you take into account any appliance or any counters that you are about to place in the basement. This is important to ensure that every square inch is accounted for.
- An important thing that needs to be taken into account is to ensure that if the existing flooring is uneven in any way, then you need to level it by using an underlay layer.
- You will also need to seal any cracks or holes that exist on the flooring by using a concrete sealer. These concrete sealants are available at most hardware or home improvement stores.
- Now you need to start cutting out the flooring that you have using the measurements that you have taken before. It may be prudent to use a special vinyl cutter to cut the flooring so that the cuts are precise and do not cause an uneven flooring later.
- Next, you need to start applying the adhesive that you have to the basement floor. Use a trowel to do this and to ensure that adhesive is spread evenly and covers the entire area of the basement. There are also types of vinyl flooring available in which you can place it directly on the basement flooring without using any form of adhesive.
- Once you have placed the flooring completely, allow it to dry for at least four to eight hours. Do not allow any movement in the basement during this time. Once the flooring has set, you can set all your appliances again and start using the basement.
Vinyl flooring for basements can be one of the best flooring options as it is durable and resistant to most spillage. It can be one of the best flooring to choose for basements that are being used as playrooms or entertainment rooms.