Motifs and Colors
Tropical ambiance is achieved by neutral colors like pale yellow, mellow gold, dark brown, tan, camel skin shades, beige, and ivory. Also, green that ranges from olive green to jade green to bottle green to bluish green to yellowish green. Accents are created by using dull reds, black, and mahogany brown.
This kind of tropical decorating themes can not only be used in family rooms and living rooms, but also look great in bathrooms and even in master suites.
One of the basic elements in a room decorated with a tropical décor theme is upholstered, comfortable furniture. Horizontally oriented long lines emphasize a casual ambiance, adding to a restful environment.
Tropical tree grows in jungles of South India and Sri Lanka. They can be used as decoration pieces beside writing desks, or tropical style computer cabinets. It is durable and flexible, with wrapped knobby joints.
The fabrics of the upholstery should be neutral colored chenilles or any other natural fabric like khadi, a coarse homespun cotton made in India, or even raw silk, especially for the major pieces of furniture. While chairs and ottomans can have upholstery with leafy designs and jungle prints.
Since you will be using large leafy prints and animal prints fairly extensively it is best not to overdo the accessories when using tropical décor in your home. However, here are some accessories that you can use:
- Wicker vases with artificial tropical flowers
- Wall tapestries with palm leaves, flowers or palm trees
- Tropical style table lamps
- Palm plant (artificial or real), or other tropical plants
- Indigenous art and artifacts (antique tables, chest of drawers, et al)
- Seashells and conches
- Paintings or pictures of tropical trees, animals, or landscapes
- Decorative wooden or bamboo screens
- Throw pillows with palm leaf or floral patterns
- Tropical shower curtains for the bathroom
- Jute rugs
Tropical Garden Furniture