Blackout window blinds, as the name suggests, are used to block out any light from entering the room during the day or night. These blinds may have pleated, vertical as well as horizontal slats. Let us take a look at the different types of window blinds available.
- Vinyl Blinds: Window blinds made of vinyl are commonly used as they are durable and also available in different colors. They look decorative and help in darkening the room.
- Cellular Blinds: These blinds have cells stitched together which effectively help in room darkening. As they look like a honeycomb, they are also called honeycomb blinds. Cellular blinds with more than 1 layer are also available.
- Roller Blinds: They are made of plastic or fabric, and hence are easy to use and clean. They also come in attractive colors. Roller blackout blinds are more popular because they are long-lasting.
- Wooden Blinds: Wooden blinds in natural colors of wood look classy and elegant. They also serve the purpose of darkening the room. Bamboo blinds is also a commonly-seen variety.
- The main advantage of these window blinds is that they shut out excess sunlight. They are useful in homes with large windows, and can even be installed in bathrooms. Sometimes, they are installed on glass doors.
- Room darkening window blinds help you sleep longer as there will be no glaring sunlight through your bedroom window. Blackout blinds also help prevent the glare of your television screen. They can also be used in offices or examination halls.
- Room darkening blinds are available in most home furniture stores. Alternatively, you can even shop for them through the Internet. As they are available in several colors, it is easier to find the one that matches the decor of your house.
- When shopping for window blinds, make sure that they actually shut out the light.
- These blinds can also be custom made according to your requirements.
- The best method to clean window blinds is to vacuum them and then clean them with a damp cloth. You have to roll the blinds down to separate the slats.
- Secondly, you can remove them and clean with soap water.
- If you have an expensive blackout blinds, it is better to follow cleaning instructions recommended by the manufacturers.