May be, you like to go for the same old color which has been draping your walls for years. But this time, you are welcome to do something different, something out of the blue that would definitely fish for compliments.
Painting your house is an important ritual; your house can just come alive with the right kind of combinations of varied hues and perfect interior decor. So, you would definitely want to give some serious thoughts while choosing the color combinations for your house.
Types of Interior Paint Colors
Interior painting is an interesting task when you have done everything right, that is, you have shopped for the right kind of paint, got the matching wallpaper and suitable lighting etc; then it is just picture perfect for you. For this to happen, you should know a thing or two about picking paint colors.
The cool colors may give a soothing feeling to the whole decor of the room. Pink, white, peach are all those colors whose combination have been tried and tested by many people.
Same applies to lilac and taupe color. So tread carefully while choosing colors for your home. Colors like light rose, tangerine, cyan, peach, coral shades, and dark champagne color are good to go.
You can also easily experiment with white by sprinkling a dash of any other color. Cream, beige, cosmic latte, alice blue, are some examples of the white shades which are considered as the best interior house paints. All the same, keep in mind that your interior decor should be bright and lively to go with white walls.
Tips for Picking Out the Right Paint Color
There are always some dos and don'ts which need to follow to get the color scheme right the very first time. There are hundreds of colors and innumerable color combinations which can paint on your walls.
However, to pick out the right color that reflects your personality and mood, you need to do little homework and buy some sample cans to check out their combinations. Here are some tips that you may find useful:
- Choose one color as primary color and complement it with its light shade (dark green and light green) or contrast it with another color (like red and green).
- Color the walls and other parts of the room a shade lighter from the floor to prevent it from looking too stark.
- If you want to create an impression of a higher ceiling, then paint it with a lighter shade than the walls.
- You can choose one wall as the focal point of the room. For instance, in the bedroom, you can choose the wall which is adjacent to the bed.
- Before you buy any paint color for your home, make sure that you see it in different types of lights. Be it sunlight, incandescent or fluorescent light, the paint color should look exactly as you want it to look on your wall. So, it's best to check the paint color under the lighting of the room you want to paint.
- While testing the paint, you might find the paint color a little darker than expected. Let the paint dry and then only decide whether it is good enough for your house interiors or not.
Deciding the paint color is not enough, you should also have a look at the texture of the paint. There are many different types of paints that are available in the market. Liquid gloss, satin or matte finish paints, latex paints etc. are types of paints, to name a few. You can also create your own paint color.
Combinations of colors like maroon with white, can give exciting shades of lavender, whereas violet and red mix would get you, your very own magenta. Thus, follow your instincts while creating your own colors and ideas. If not, you can always revert to your same old familiar interior painting colors, which you earlier had.