You switch on the television and tune into your favorite home makeover show. On a balmy winter afternoon, a family gives their house keys away to a complete stranger. 5 days and several hours of drilling, building, and more importantly shifting and painting later, the family reenters the house. This time there are whoops of joy. The family has just been gifted their dream house in a style that reflects them. The show comes to an end. You switch off the TV and sigh in hope that someday maybe you will have similar luck and someone will decorate your house. But why depend on unrecognized, unrequited dreams? All you need to do is educate yourself on the various styles at your disposal and design away.
- Interior decorating is a subjective art. Pay attention to your likes and dislikes so that you can express your unique style.
- While money can buy most things, taste is not for sale. Do not splurge on a piece of furniture that you are going to end up relegating to the garage.
- Try and stick to a particular theme. Mixing eras or styles is not a great idea unless you are aiming for shabby chic.
- Interior decoration is not always about style. It also requires functionality.
- If you have the space, use it. If you are lucky enough to have a good view from your house, then you could probably opt for French windows to draw attention to it.
- If you own an opulent showpiece or an ornate piece of furniture, make sure that it becomes the central point of attraction in the room.