What is a Drop Ceiling?
This ceiling is composed of a metal grid and ceiling panels that are placed in that grid. They are often composed of translucent materials that cause an overall glow from the ceiling. The sizes of these ceiling panels vary. The most common size that is available is 2 feet by 4 feet. Light fixtures can also be covered using drop ceilings.
Today, there are drop-ceiling tiles available too. These tiles come in many textures and colors, ensuring that you have a ceiling treatment that matches your décor.
How You Can Install Drop Ceilings
Here are the steps that will help you install a drop ceiling:
- First of all it is important to decide on the style of the ceiling that you would like to use. Once you have done that, decide on how many panels you will require.
- Now center the panels within the room ensuring that the perimeter panels are of equal size as much as possible.
- After the above process, it is important that you figure out how to install the drop ceiling. Remember that the minimum ceiling height that is required is 7 feet 6 inches. Also, note that the ceiling needs to be installed at least 5 inches below any lights and three inches below any plumbing.
- Once the above process is over, install your ceiling perpendicular to the joints. To do this, you can follow the manufactures instructions. The common process that is followed for installation usually requires eye hooks to be put in the joists and a wire that is used to hang it from the ceiling. While installing the ceiling, ensure that you are using the recommended type of hardware and wire.
- Use tin snips or wire cutters to cut long pieces of wire and then make sure that all intersections in the grid are carefully secured. You can use a level to ensure that the drop ceiling is not being installed at an angle.
- Place the panels into place after the installation of the grid. To fit the space, cut the perimeter panels into place (note that the actual panels are a little larger than the space in the grid).
Tips for Installation
- All you need to do to ensure that the panels are equal in size and the number of panels you have calculated are right, is to draw a diagram of your ceiling on graph paper. While doing this, remember to use a box to equal one square foot. When that is complete, draw the panel system onto your diagram.
- You would be required to keep a saw handy to cut other panels apart from soft, absorbent and drywall panels.
- If you are unable to procure the proper equipment or cannot cut it yourself, you could take the panels to the nearest home improvement store. Most of them will cut it for free.
Benefits of Drop Ceilings
These ceilings are a good choice of ceiling treatment for many reasons; some of them have been listed below.
Efficient and Cost-Effective
They can be used in a basement or laundry room because they are more practical. The reason for this is that these ceilings do not consist of much construction and the materials that are used are economical.
This ceiling can be used to correct any leveling problems. This is possible as the metal grids can easily be adjusted to different heights as they are installed.
In the end, here is an advice for you. There are times when installing a drop ceiling becomes difficult because of awkward angles and the use of ladders. It is advisable to call a professional if you are uncomfortable with the task.