Basements are always ignored in most homes. Often they end up becoming storage space. But, if you are looking forward to create a new functional space in the basement, then one of the ideas you could use is to create a basement bar. It can be the perfect space to relax, hang out with your friends, have a drink or two, and get away from the rest of the house.
Building a Basement Bar
The thought of a basement bar can be quite intriguing. With most places seeing a crazy and exponential increase in real estate prices, houses have becoming increasingly smaller, and therefore, it is slightly impossible to allocate space to a bar in the main area of a house. But, your basement can be the perfect solution.
Depending on the structure of the basement, you can choose to create a wet or a dry bar in your basement. With a wet bar, you need to ensure that there is a steady flow of water and a proper drainage system. You need to have a sink, a dishwasher, and a bin to allow for ice melts.
A dry bar on the other hand, will only have storage space for your liquor bottles and a bar top for mixing drinks. One of the first decisions that you will need to make when you get down to building a bar in your basement is to choose which type of bar you want.
Once you have made this decision, it is easier to concentrate on other details like the design of the bar, the storage area, and the creative touches that you would want to put in. It may be helpful to keep in mind that it is always possible to convert a dry bar into a wet bar at a latter stage.
Before you start any renovations in your basement, always confirm whether there are any permissions that you need to take or if there are any specific requirements that you need to meet. Once you have answered all these queries, you can start the process of creating a basement bar in your house.
All you need to do is follow the simple steps given here for guidance.
- In any bar, the focus of attention, after the line of bottles on display, is the bar top. Depending on what your personal preference is, choose a bar top that is straight, circular, L-shaped, or custom-made.
- The most important thing to keep in mind while choosing a bar top is to ensure that there is enough space for people to make drinks and for people to just lounge around.
- If you are opting for a wet bar, then you also need to ensure that there is space for a sink, fountain, and any other appliance that you would need placed on the bar top.
- For the surface material of the bar top, choose something that is durable and resistant to stains and spills.
- Storage is an important constituent for any bar. You need enough space to store alcohol and the glassware you possess. Essentials you need in a bar is a mini-refrigerator or a wine cooler. You may need a blender or mixer in order to prepare cocktails.
- Try to be innovative with your storage space and create decorative pieces out of placement of things. For example, you could create a circular bottle holder that is attached to wall, which could be the focal attraction in the bar. You could also create a mini chandelier by hanging glasses from the ceiling from detachable junctions.
- This is something that most homeowners tend to ignore, but it is important. When you have a basement bar in your house, it is important that you decide on the kind of liquor that you are storing. This is essential to have a proper storage system for the spirits you have in your bar.
- The steps listed here in order to design a bar can be reversed so while it may be a good idea to decide on a decor idea before you start redesigning, you can also think up of a decor theme while in the midst of redesigning.
- Depending on your aesthetic sense, there are many different decor styles and designs that you can choose from. A sixties' magic bus theme, a twenties' jazz club scene, the options for decor are many and varied.
- It is also important to have a proper seating arrangement in your basement as you need enough space for your guests to be able to lounge around comfortably. You can opt for bar stools around the bar top or a seating slightly away from the main area of the bar in the garb of recliners and armchairs.
You do not necessarily need to create a basement bar from scratch. It is also possible to buy DIY kits that will make your job of making a bar a lot easier. With a basement bar, you can have the perfect setting for all your parties and the perfect space to entertain your friends and family.