When we think of fitness or losing that extra bit, we always tend to head towards a local gym or maybe the most popular one recommended by people around us. Instead, you can create a gym at home. If your home has ample space, you can always go for this option. Obviously, investment would be a matter of concern. But once you set up the gym, you will enjoy your own freedom and comfort. It is up to yourself, how to give it the feel of a commercial gym.
A gym needs to be spacious, so as to accommodate the exercise equipment; at least the basic ones. If you have an extra room at home, which is big enough, you can transform it to a gym. People who do not have space problem can always create a luxurious gym at home. What if you do not have that extra room? The basement of the home is generally left unused. You can use the basement for setting up your gym.
Designing Your Own Gym
- Make sure that you have the basic equipment, like weights, dumbbells, treadmill, etc. Get good quality equipment and arrange them according to their sizes. See to it that you have sufficient space to exercise.
- We always want to decorate own rooms, so that we enjoy staying there. There are various ways to give your gym the 'commercial look.' Paint the walls with vibrant colors, like magenta, red, orange, or banana yellow. This will make the gym look bright and pleasant. This will also boost your determination to exercise. Cool colors, like shades of blues, greens, purples, etc., will give your gym a very calm and quiet look. Such colors are best, if your exercise regimen is totally based on yoga. Make sure your ceiling is white, to give the room a wider and bigger look. Avoid using dull shades of browns, pinks or creams, to make your gym room look lively and energetic.
- Along with colors, lighting of the room should also be equally good. Use full spectrum daylight bulbs which are bright enough and help energize the room.
- Use of rubber floor mats or cushions will help you for yoga, meditation and floor exercises.
- You can hang some posters of your favorite celebs or athletes with hot bods. This will help increase your self-confidence and motivate you to work harder.
- Putting up charts depicting BMI (Body Mass Index), weight to height ratio, balanced diet, etc., can increase your self-confidence.
- A gym is totally incomplete without mirrors; that too bigger ones. "How many inches have I reduced?" or "Do I have a perfect figure or physique?" are the common questions that come up in our minds, after exercising. Doing exercises in front of mirrors is a trend which almost everyone follows. It's not taught; it's just within us!
- You better not forget to wear proper gym clothing, like track pants, shorts, tees, and a pair of good sport shoes.
- Playing some of your favorite music always adds to the zeal. You can play any sort of music; may be something in relation to the exercises you are doing.
- You can also have some potted flowering plants in your gym room to give it a fresh and colorful look.
Those who do not find the home gym economical, can opt for affordable ones. Even a smaller room can be used as a gym, if you are able to accommodate the basic stuff in it. You can always design the interiors according to your wish. If you really want to work out and are willing to adjust and compromise on wall colors, cushions or music; no one can stop you. You may also ask your friends or relatives to share the expenses for setting up the gym, and let them use it. If the equipment is not affordable, you can substitute them with exercises, like sit-ups, jogging, walking, push-ups, high jumps, etc., which are equally good. Otherwise, go for yoga which is relatively simpler, yet very effective.
Building a home gym is not a difficult task. To sum it up, I would say that a gym, whether a small one or luxurious one, whether home gym or local; is a GYM, as long as you exercise there and enjoy doing the same. Go for it people.