Moreover, there's no dearth of design options. You could select either a fine or rough textured handcrafted grasscloth wall covering for giving a decorative look to your walls. The design will vary, depending on the type of reed and fibers used.
Jute, natural sea grass, bamboo, sisal hemp, arrowroot, ramie, and silk are some of the types of plants and fibers that are used. The texture will depend on the variety of grass or plant used. The ones made from silk would be soft and shiny, whereas the ones made from jute would be rough.
You could also try the paper weaves option, the three-dimensional woven wall covering, or the vinyl printed imitation. Wallpaper made from grasses and plant fibers are easy to apply, but you must ensure that you use an appropriate adhesive for the heavy or bulky wall covering.
The vegetable dyes that are used can stain due to exposure to moisture, which is why it would be best to refrain from applying grasscloth wallpaper in bathrooms, especially near the shower, sink, toilet, or the bathtub. However, you can apply in the dressing area or the powder room.
Things You Need
- Adhesive or wallpaper paste
- Snap blade knife
- Measuring Tape
- Wallpaper primer
- You will need to take off the existing wall covering. You could use a fabric softener to remove the wallpaper and use the household detergent to get rid of the dirt. Allow it to air dry.
- Cleaning the walls is extremely important, as the adhesive will not work if it is applied on dirty walls.
- Once the wallpaper has been removed, make sure you turn off the power while you detach the wall fixtures.
- Thereafter, apply a coating of wallpaper primer to the walls. Let the primer remain on the walls for 24 hours.
- Use the measuring tape and cut the strips of the wallpaper evenly using the knife.
- Mostly the patterns of panels of the grasscloth would not match with each other, so arrange them so that you get the most symmetrical pattern on your walls.
- The next step involves spraying the adhesive on the walls. The quality of adhesive is extremely important, so select a good adhesive that will not damage or stain the wallpaper.
- Apply the wallpaper and press firmly against the adhesive.
Those of you who had put primer during installation will certainly find it easier to remove the wallpaper. You could either use the products that are available in the market for this purpose, or use a mixture of vinegar and hot water. Apply this solution on your walls. In case this method is not working, you could also use a paint scraper.
Generally, the traditional methods of wallpaper removal will work. You could also rent a steamer for removing it. If you have doubts as to how to clean grasscloth wallpaper, remember that water will strain or streak the paper. So, refrain from using water, and remove the dirt or dust with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
Not only will the wallpaper made from natural fiber add visual interest, it's an excellent choice on account of being environment-friendly. So, do your bit to protect the environment by choosing such wall coverings.