A fireplace has a big impact on the way your house looks, because it is there right in the middle of your living room. So, if you have moved to a new house with a fireplace, make sure you give it the importance it deserves. Against this, if you have been toying with the idea of giving your old fireplace a makeover, don't think, just go for it. Fireplace remodeling is not a very costly affair, you can even do it yourself without needing the help of any professional solutions. In the paragraphs that follow, you will find some simple ideas to remodel your fireplace that can be easily implemented and are cost-effective as well.
For a Brick Fireplace
For a Brick Fireplace
- Start with the simplest thing that can be done. Apply a new coat of paint to the entire fireplace, and you will be surprised by how different it looks.
- Choose a color or a color scheme that complements the color scheme of your living room.
- Along with the paint you can add some accessories to the fireplace. Adding a door or curtains can be an option.
- You can also make some shelves on the two sides of the fireplace, which will be a nice place for books or DVDs, and the look of the place will change drastically.
- If you are not on a very tight budget, you can consider rebuilding the entire fireplace. The blackened old bricks can be replaced by some other material like faux bricks.
- You can also shape it in the way you want. If you are planning to have a fireplace in the outdoors, these outdoor fireplace ideas may be helpful to you.
- Remodeling a stone fireplace is indeed a difficult thing to undertake if you are a little short on the economic side. But, here are some ideas that will help you change at least the appearance of the same.
- Try adding a mantel piece to the fireplace. This is a simple thing, but adds a whole new dimension to the scene of your living room.
- A wooden mantel piece is the classic way and looks great.
- Your other options are marble, granite, or a limestone mantel piece.
- Another option is to paint it. There are some very creative color schemes available today that you can use.
- You can also think about expanding the fireplace till the ceiling if you do not have a mantel.
- The only problem with expanding is that you should find the stones that will match with the old ones you have in place.
- However, you should, perhaps, let a professional handle the fireplace expansion, because a small mistake can ruin the look of your fireplace.