In short, these wonder items serve both purposes, viz., portable storage and aesthetic appeal, very effectively. So let us take a look at how to choose the right kind of storage box, and what types they are available in.
Choosing the Right Storage Box
Decorative storage boxes are perhaps one of the best storage solutions one could opt for. The key to choosing the right box is to first determine your own requirements.
Ask yourself these questions before buying any storage box:
- What is going to be stored in it?
- Where will it be kept?
- How often is it going to be accessed?
- Does it need a lid?
- Will it match the theme of the room it is going to be placed in?
- Will its shape be suitable for the spot it is going to be placed at?
- How many such boxes are needed?
Since you buy storage boxes for apt storage solutions and not for only beautifying the storage look beautiful; get the right box that solves your storage space purpose. A decorative box can be used to keep jewelry, but not to store linens, magazines or office supplies etc. Based on such requirements, decide the style and type of boxes before buying any.
Storage boxes are available in variety of sizes, and also in different shapes and materials. You are literally spoiled for choice when choosing the one for your storage solutions. They can be stacked, or you may opt for single boxes with or without lids, based on what you are going to use them for.
While you may find gorgeous storage boxes with or without lids in various home stores or even online, you can also make these yourself. For those with a creative streak and an affinity towards arts and crafts, there are kits available that allow you to make your own decorative storage boxes from scratch.
Making Decorative Boxes
There is a lot you can do to create ornamental storage solutions for small spaces. For one, choose the kind of box you want. For instance, you could find an old trunk at a garage sale and embellish it to serve as storage at your house. On the other hand, you may simply enhance shoe boxes of different sizes to fulfill your requirements.
- Decorate shoe boxes with gift wrapping, wallpaper scraps, ribbons, or other crafts materials, and place them on easily accessible shelves.
- Convert an old picnic basket into a decorative storage box by adding to it fabric, trim, and other such frills to give it a homely appeal. Place it in your laundry room and store your linen in it.
- Old plastic containers, or even pots, can make wonderful storage boxes without lids. Paint over the plastic containers with different colors to coordinate with the theme of the room you are placing these in, and use them to keep your craft supplies or other items you may need handy.
- Cover some old shoe boxes with leather to give them a wonderful, rustic appeal. Use them to store gadgets, appliances, CDs, or DVDs.
- Old cookie tins can also be used as storage boxes. Paint over these with spray paint and embellish them with ribbon, sequins, beads, or any other such ornamental craft material to create gorgeous storage and display.