Corian countertops are actually a type of solid surface countertops which are manufactured by the company, DuPont. It was introduced forty years ago and since then, has been one of the most popular materials used by people for their kitchen. The best thing about it is that, it is possible to use a similar type of material for the sink also. They are available in three forms - matte satin, semi gloss, and high gloss.
Though earlier, there weren't different types of kitchen countertops, and people did not have many options when it came to colors and patterns, now Corian offers countertops that are available in a variety of shades and styles. Due to all these positive factors, they are very popular among people. However, before you invest in them, you have to know about their pros and cons, so that you know whether they would suit your home as well as lifestyle.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Before we go into the pros and cons of Corian countertops, it is important to know as to how this material is made. The main ingredients which are used to make this material are acrylic polymers and stone derived materials. These are mixed and poured into molds to make sheets, which have a thickness of ½ inch. The best thing about this material is that, it is actually possible to order pre-cut lengths, according to the design of your kitchen. Although it gives a unique look to the kitchen, it will be a good idea to look at positives and negatives of using Corian countertops before taking the final decision.
- As mentioned earlier, one of the main advantages of using Corian countertop is that it is available in different colors. Due to this, you can choose the one which suits your home, as per your taste. Also, as you can get pre-cut material which fits perfectly on your kitchen, it will be free of seams which can be easily seen on other types of materials.
- One of the very common reasons for people to choose the Corian countertop is because it is very easy to clean it. Any spill during the cooking process can be cleaned, without taking any extra efforts.
- Another important advantage of is that it is stain resistant. This type of material is non-porous, and due to this, the stains caused during kitchen work do not create any permanent damages to it. Moreover, the quality of being non porous, also protects them from mildew, mold, and bacterial growth.
- Although this material is stain resistant, one cannot say this, when it comes to scratches. In other words, Corian countertops have the ability of scratching easily, which is usually permanent.
- Apart from this, one of the common problems is that, it can get damaged easily, when exposed to hot pans and vessels. Hence, one should remember not to place very hot cooking vessels on the countertops, for more than a few seconds.
- Apart from these, another major disadvantage of using it is that it is very expensive. Though the price of Corian is not as high as that of granite, it can be costlier than the other types of materials which are used in building the countertop.
Although cleaning and caring is not very difficult, there are many people who do not do it correctly. It is important for people to understand that one must clean the countertop everyday with an ammonia based cleaner or soapy water. Nevertheless, make sure to dry the countertop, and not allow it to be wet for a very long time. This is important, because too much water can cause a film to develop on the surface which will give the countertop a very dull look. Another thing to remember, is to place heat pads before you place anything hot on it.
Although there are some major disadvantages of this material, it is a good choice when it comes to adorning your kitchen, especially if you maintain it properly. Hence, weigh your pros and cons carefully, before making the final decision.