Chalkboard paint comes in various colors and shades now, giving homeowners more freedom to go creative with these paint colors. Read on…
Chalkboard paint is used in many places for practical as well as decorative purposes. Walls are painted in public washrooms with this paint to discourage graffiti artists from spray painting on walls. Also, one can erase graffiti on such walls and can have clean surface to create new designs. It is also used in restaurants and cafe’s to display their specials for the day.
You can also use it on the kitchen wall to avoid the clutter of sticky notes on the refrigerator. However, this paint is most popular for kids rooms. Because, it provides a rewritable surface for the kids. It is mostly used in nurseries. However, you don’t have to stick with the same old black color. With so many color choices available today you can create a chalkboard-painted wall of a fresh new shade.
Chalkboard Wall Paint Colors
All you need is a little bit of imagination, and you can create cool art on the wall with this paint. There are two very popular manufacturers of this paint, which offer various color options. You can go through various reviews to see which is the best product. Two of the most popular manufacturers are HudsonPaint and RustOleum. They have so many shades of chalkboard paint colors, that you will surely find a shade to match your home decor.
You can also buy magnetic blackboard paint, however it is not available in many shades but only in black. But, you can create a magnetic chalkboard paint or a paint shade of your choice. It is a simple procedure actually, and if you are a DIY enthusiast you will love working on this project.
Create Your Own Paint Color
Follow these steps to create a color of your choice.
- Get a matte finish latex paint of a shade or color which you want the chalkboard paint to be. There are many good manufacturers like Behr, Benjamin Moore, Valspar, etc., that you can choose from.
- In a small container add half cup of the paint color of your choice, and then add one tablespoon of unsanded and dry tile grout, and then add 2 teaspoons of a water-based glazing medium.
- Then mix everything well with a stir stick, and keep whisking till there are no lumps in the paint. If you wish to create chalkboard magnetic paint, then you will need to add magnetic additive too.
- Apply this paint with a foam brush or a roller on a clean, dry, and even surface. Paint the surface with a primer to adhere the paint better. Make sure you let the primer layer dry properly before applying the paint.
- Then apply the first coat of the paint and let it dry, and let each coat dry before applying a new one.
- Then sand down the area with a fine grit sandpaper. Then take a soft cloth and wipe off the surface.
- To prepare the painted surface, take a chalk stick and cover the painted patch with chalk, then wipe the surface with a damp sponge. Your chalkboard surface is ready.
If you wish to work on a small project, then instead of creating one shade you will have to create many small batches of various colors. However, if you are not a DIY enthusiast, then you can just order the paint from a quality manufacturer.