Choosing the right carpet colors is a very subjective matter. What you perceive as a good choice, may be a no-no for someone else. Carpets and rugs now make important focal points in home decorating, and choosing the right shade to go with the rest of your interiors is of prime importance. However, the thumb rule for interior designing is to go with what you like and what you are most comfortable with. Succumbing to trends you are not comfortable with is of no use. Even the best rugs will look drab in such a case.
Color Selection Criteria
Some important considerations are to be kept in mind when you select the color of a carpet. While one may be visually appealing, you also have to account for its maintenance.
- Consider your family. If you have little kids, you should stay away from lighter shades. These are not going to last long in the presence of little kids. Pets are another consideration. In such cases, it is advisable to choose darker shades, as these don't show stains too easily, and would definitely last longer.
- Keep in mind the decor and the furniture and upholstery. Choose complementary colors, such as a chocolate carpet with cream or tan walls, or a yellow if you have orange upholstery. The varieties of choices are endless. Another thing to keep in mind is that every room can look different from the other. It is not essential that only one color should run throughout the house.
- The choice for bedrooms varies depending on the occupant of the room. For instance, a little girl's room would look perfect with a baby pink carpet, while a boy's room would be perfect with a navy blue, or a green one (to give the illusion of a sports area). On the other hand, a teenage girl can have a hot pink one, while a teenage boy can go for a gray or black option, with the rest of the furniture in whiter, lighter tones. For a master bedroom, again, it depends on the theme running throughout the room. However, it is always a good idea to use mature and dark shades in a master bedroom, to give it a rich look.
- It is also possible to create different flooring patterns with carpets in different colors. For instance, if your carpet has lines, then it could be cut in to squares and laid in a manner that one tile is horizontal, while the other is vertical. This creates an interesting pattern. Other than that, you could create a checkered pattern, by using chocolate brown and tan, or black and white. In fact, instead of choosing single color for your basement, you can apply this grid pattern there, to avoid the basement from looking drab. Of course, those used in this case should be dark and darker. Light shades in basements is an invitation to a lot of cleaning.
- The choice also depends on the kind of mood you are trying to evoke with the rug. For instance, if you want a funky, vibrant atmosphere, you should go for brighter shades, such as red, orange, etc. On the other hand, for a calm, relaxed, or romantic atmosphere, choose from shades of purple, light pink, and light blue. Even pastel shades such as peach or yellow are great for this purpose.
- Consider the amount of natural and artificial light available in the room. For brightly lit rooms, dark shades are suitable, but if the room is already dark, it is wiser to go for a lighter shade to give brightness and a spacious feel to the room.
Presented below are a few ideas on using carpet colors in different manners. These have been divided into warm and cool colors. As the names suggest, warm colors evoke a vibrant, warm effect, while cool ones have more of a relaxing and calming effect.
|Orange||One of the better choices for a warm effect, shades of orange range from peach tones to stronger terracotta shades. Pair it with yellow, blue, or green, it will give the entire setting a warmer feel, by underplaying all the cooler shades.|
|Pink and Red||These warm shades are great for entertainment zones such as a home theater, or a game room. Pink, as mentioned before is perfect for girls, and red can even be used to brighten up a boy's room. The shades of red start from a basic pink, and go deeper into a rich, deep pink (shocking pink), further into blood red. This moves on to deep red, maroon, and then burgundy.|
|Yellow||Yellow can be both, a cool and a warm color, depending on the hue you choose. For instance, if you go for a brighter yellow, that goes on to a golden or a mustard shade, it makes a perfect warm color. It can even range towards a copper or a bronze shade, that makes for a rich master bedroom. On the other hand, on the lighter side you can opt for lemon yellow, and cooler, lighter shades.|
|Blue||Blue (all shades) has always been a popular and the most preferred choice, even for commercial purposes. Pair it with yellow, orange, green, or terracotta, and experience the wonderful effect this produces on your senses.|
|Purple||From violet to lavender, to lilac to mauve, to a deep purple, choose from any of these shades to evoke a cool effect. Pair it will yellow, and even gold to create a striking effect. Deeper purple can be used in the master bedroom, either with gold or gray (even silver), depending on your choice.|
|Green||The shades of green range from sea green, to olive green, and can be paired up with light shades of yellows. You can also choose from brown, gray, or orange to go with a green carpet.|
If you are looking for more neutral options, opt for gray. It allows all other colors to stand out, and is a good companion to almost any pairing. Pair it with orange, red, blue, or black. It will never undermine the effect of the brighter shade, but will instead highlight it further.
Carpet colors indeed work to accentuate other aspects of your room further. Whatever shade you choose, always remember that it should complement the rest of your decor, so that you have the perfect room.