If your home is equipped with a basement than having a well-designed and safe staircase is quite essential. A staircase that leads to the basement is a prominent element while finishing the basements. After basement refinishing, start with refinishing the staircase. You can also simultaneously work on the staircase while working on the basement as well.
Ideas to Consider
Regardless of the project you're about to undertake, it is essential to keep the amount of space you have and the style that will work with the entire home's décor.
There are various ways of refinishing the stairs depending upon the material of stairs.
- For concrete stairs, you can consider tiling the surface to get a well-finished and elegant look. You can consider installing one of the best flooring options for stairs depending upon your budget.
- If the cost is high but you still wish to transform the appearance of the stairs, consider painting it. Concrete painting is easy and it offers a great looking staircase that can be beautified with various design and decoration ideas.
Work on the Decor
Once the staircase is ready, it is time to work on the walls surrounding it.
- If the staircase leading to basements are surrounded by walls from both the sides, then ensure that you paint them with color(s) that complement the rest of the décor.
- As the basements often lack natural illumination, pick light colors for the walls. Paint them white and add some wall hangings. Yes, spicing up the walls surrounding the stairs with frames and wall hangings is an easy way to create a cool looking entryway for this area.
- If you are ready to spend more, consider decorating the walls with classic wallpapers and create an effect of natural stones or bricks.
- If the staircase has railing, get it painted with a fresh coat of bright color matching with the wall color.
- If you are adding wall panels for basement consider continuing them up, to grace the wall besides the stairs.
Spice Up the Staircase
- As per the treads and basement decor, add finishing touches to the stairs. To fit them in a small budget go for the rubber treads. The carpet runners are the ultimate way to play up the look of these stairs and have a grand entry way to the basement area. Use soft colors like beige, gray or darker shades like red or navy blue as per the basement design.
So, when you plan to utilize the basement by converting it into a usable room, make sure that you don't forget to revamp the staircase. With the tips and ideas mentioned, get set to have an awesome entrance to this space.
Placing potted plants and other accent pieces on the stairs is a great idea. Place these only if the staircase is wide enough to accommodate such accent pieces without leading to a cluttered effect. The dimensions will also decide the total refinishing cost. Try to maintain uniformity in terms of colors to have a perfect package of decorated space.