Although a professional expertise is much preferred, you can still take it up as do-it-yourself (DIY) project. Once it gets framed, you can utilize the area for entertainment activities or for various other purposes.
Framing a basement will be much easier if you correctly follow the given tips. You have to lay out the design and then procure all the materials beforehand. Make sure you wear gloves and be a little careful while hammering or nailing.
1. This step is about procuring the materials required to work out the basement remodeling plans. The materials required are measuring tape, caulk line, crowbar, framing square, mason's string, saw, hammer, plumb bob, nails, goggles, and a ladder.
2. The purpose for raising the wall will depend on the basement area. Compartmentalize the ground if the area is large. You can raise walls if you want to utilize it for multipurpose activities, and the type of frame will differ accordingly. The width and height of the walls will depend as per the usage. Check the plumbing facilities, pipelines and drainage.
3. Wooden wall is the best option for basement framing when you are doing the groundwork by yourself. Build all the sections of the wall and then raise them, or you can nail the plates from top and bottom and then stud the adjacent plates with nails.
The methods vary depending on the type of walls you want to raise and as per your convenience. Make sure the basement is free from electrical wiring and pipelines.
4. The standard measurement of wooden boards is 2 x 4 inches and the thickness of lumber is 1.5 inches. You should check for the quality of the lumber and then do the purchasing.
The boards should be water resistant, moisture proof, and seasoned. Ensure that their ends are smooth and they are properly clamped. Now mark "X" at the top and bottom of the boards with a framing square and stud the nail exactly at the mark.
5. This step deals with placement of the studs that are nailed on the top and bottom plates. Measure the total length of the ceiling and subtract the length of the plates from it; the resultant length will be size of the studs.
Now, nail them to the plates (top and bottom) with the help of 12D nails. Draw a vertical line from the ceiling to the floor of the wall with the help of plumb bob; this will ensure the uniformity of the vertical wall. Then caulk and seal the gaps and holes.
The cost is dependent upon plenty of factors, including area of the basement, cost of materialss, electrical lines, pipelines, and the nature of walls. These costs are definitely much lower if you take the responsibility yourself, and you will be relieved from paying extra dollars to the professionals.